One of the best things about visiting Lidl, is the exotic meats that you can get your hands on without the need to visit a specialist market.
So far, from Lidl, I’ve sampled ostrich, boar, reindeer, venison and I’m sure there are others! So the kangaroo from this recipe came from here too.
So why kangaroo? People might think they’re cute and cuddly and wouldn’t dream of it but it’s a very healthy meat, low in saturated fat and full of iron.
2 kangaroo steaks
- 3 cups of red wine
- 1 fresh chilli – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 spring onion (salad onion) – sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- salt and pepper
Marinade the kangaroo steaks whole in a bowl with 2 cups of red wine, garlic, thyme, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper and leave for at least 1 hour. This will help to tenderise the meat.
- Cook the kangaroo on a very high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Take care to judge the thickness but don’t overcook it or it will be tough!
- Once cooked, set aside to rest. This is important to keep the juices within the meat and so they don’t run all over the plate.
- Use the other cup of wine and pour into the pan to make a sauce with the rest of the marinade left in the pan. Keep stirring over a high heat until it has thickened.
- Slice kangaroo and serve! I served mine with steamed broccoli and baby sweetcorn.
So enjoy! And let me know in the comments if you have tried this and any feedback!