I know what you’re thinking…beetroot? Keep reading though! Every week at work we take it in turns to prepare cake Friday for the rest of the team. It’s not always cake, sometimes doughnuts or ice cream sneak in, but I was determined to bake something for my next turn.
When you have to cater for gluten allergy, no dairy and no nuts…that can be tricky. Enter beetroot brownie. I was a bit sceptical but it was moist and lovely and I kept the secret ingredient quiet until everyone had had a bite!
- 2 tbsp ground/milled flax seed
- 1/2 cup melted dairy free butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 2 medium sized beetroot – grated (already prepared not raw)
- Vegan chocolate chips or pieces of vegan chocolate bar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a rectangular baking tray with baking paper.
- Prepare ‘flax eggs’, this is a replacement for eggs by mixing flax with water. One egg = 1 tbsp flax and 2.5 tbsp water. For this recipe you need to replace 2 eggs, so you need 2 tbsp flax and 5 tbsp water and set aside in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add melted butter (or coconut oil), sugar, maple syrup and vanilla and then whisk. It’s much better, easier and quicker if you have an electric whisk!
- Add the flax eggs replacement and whisk again.
- Add baking powder, cocoa powder and sea salt and whisk.
- Add the grated beetroot in a bit at a time and whisk again. The idea is to give it a rich texture but so you can’t tell a difference in flavour.
- Add gluten free flour and fold gently with a spoon or spatula.
- Add chocolate chips or broken pieces on top randomly.
- Spread out evenly in baking tray and cook for 17-25 mins.
- Check that it’s cooked by taking a sharp knife and poking in the centre of the brownie tray. If it’s clean it’s good to go…if not, then cook a little longer.
Voila! Gluten free, dairy free, nut free delicious beetroot chocolate brownies!