I love the flavours of scallop and chorizo and peas just give a lovely contrast, especially with mint!
- King scallops – as many as you would like to serve but I had 6
- 100g of chorizo chopped into 1cm pieces
- 100g of peas
- Mint leaves
That’s literally all the ingredients apart from salt and pepper and water!
- I’m a firm believer in the microwave to keep vegetables fresh and green so, add peas to a microwave friendly dish with some water, not too much! Cover with cling film and poke a hole in to release steam. Microwave on high for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add chopped chorizo to a frying pan on high heat with no oil needed. Keep stirring to prevent burning and then once crispy but not black, move this to a plate including all the lovely chorizo oil.
- Remove peas from the microwave and drain to remove water.
- Blend peas with some mint with a hand blender. How much mint is up to you! Add salt and pepper and if you like things a little spicy feel free to add some dried chilli flakes.
- Now to the scallops. If you manage to get king scallops in the shell, then remove the scallop from the shell by removing the muscle that keeps it attached. Then remove the orange roe.
- Reuse the frying pan you cooked the chorizo in and make sure it’s still hot! Sprinkle salt and pepper on scallops and then sear in pan for 2 minutes each side.
- Place some of the scallops on the shells on the plate and serve up with chorizo, pea and mint purée and drizzle some of the chorizo oil over everything.
I served this with some pea sprouts but leeks would be lovely here too. Enjoy!