I absolutely adore venison and it’s another meat that can be bought at Lidl. A wonderful flavour paired with a blackberry sauce served with a woody celeriac smash and broccoli. The longest element is probably the celeriac but it’s worth it!
- 2 medium venison steaks
- 1 celeriac, peeled (by knife rather than peeler)
- 75g of blackberries
- 1 broccoli head cut into florets
- 1 tbsp of balsami vinegar
- 150ml beef stock
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/4 finely chopped onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Slice the bottom of the celeriac to make sure it’s stable to cut and then cut into slices. Cut these slices into cubes.
- Heat a large pan with some olive oil and cook the cubes with some salt and pepper. Feel free to drizzle more olive oil and mix. Keep mixing occasionally for around 20 mins until some are browned and feels soft.
- Meanwhile, add broccoli to a glass dish with some water, salt and pepper and cover with cling film. Poke a hole in the top and microwave for 4 mins to steam.
- Put some oil in a frying pan and turn to a high heat. Coat the venison steaks in salt and pepper and cook for 5 mins on one side and 3-5 on the other (depending on the thickness).
- Once the celeriac is sufficiently softer, take a potato masher and roughly mash and keep on a low heat.
- Take the venison steaks out of the pan and leave to rest.
- Keep the frying pan on the high heat and add the balsamic, garlic, stock and onion and keep stirring.
- Add the blackberries to the sauce until soft. These might turn a bit pink and look slightly like raspberries!
- Cut the steaks and serve with the blackberry sauce, broccoli and celeriac smash…and enjoy!!
The end result is tasty and a perfect autumnal meal!