I used to HATE aubergines growing up, even my parents had to almost bribe me to eat any on my plate. I don’t mind them so much now, as my tastebuds have changed and this dish really played with my senses and I didn’t miss the meat at all!
This dish is also gluten free, vegetarian, vegan and low carb, which is win-win for a lot of people right now!
- 2 aubergines (eggplant)
- 2 cans of chopped tomato
- 1 can of green lentils (or 1 cup of cooked lentils)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 1 lemon (zested and juice of half)
- Handful of pitted green olives (chopped)
- 1 tsp of fresh oregano (dried is also OK)
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Fry your garlic and onions together in some olive oil until soft, for about 5-10 mins
- Add the canned tomatoes, spices, sugar and lentils. Add salt and pepper to taste and keep cooking for about 10 mins.
- Cut your aubergines lengthways and score each half with a criss cross pattern. You might want to add a little salt to each slice to draw the water out and help keep the mixture absorbed once cooked. You can also rub the slices with lemon to prevent browning if you might take a little while.
- Use a griddle pan and add some olive oil and griddle each side for about 5 mins each side.
- Once the aubergines have been cooked and the tomato & lentil sauce has reduced a little, place the aubergine into a large dish and spoon over the mixture.
- This should now cook for around 40-45 mins until the aubergines are soft.
- You can now prepare the crumb which is to be added once the dish has cooked. Chopped up the zest a little to make it finer and then add in a bowl with olives, parsley and oregano and lightly mix.
- Once the aubergines are done, remove from oven and sprinkle the herb crumb over the top.
And voila! Best to serve when still hot and you could serve this with asparagus or broccoli, or anything really!