Another Cake Friday in the office, another challenge. After making successful brownies and a not so successful carrot cake, I wanted to try something else. Something fresh and that’s where the discovery of a gluten free, vegan apple cake came in. I wanted to add some other flavours so raspberries worked a treat!
- 2 cups of gluten free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of dates + 1/4 up of boiling water to soak them in
- 3/4 cup of soy milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 apples – 2 grated and 2 thinly sliced
- 200g of raspberries
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 175C and grease up the sides of a 23cm circular tin with some coconut oil.
- Soak dates in boiling water to soften. Let it cool and keep the liquid.
- Add the dry ingredients in a big bowl and mix well.
- Blend wet ingredients (dates, water from dates, soy milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar) in a blender until smooth.
- Add grated apple and blend again.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold carefully, add raspberries and smoosh these around.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and then place the sliced apples in concentric circles n the top. Dust with cinnamon and optional, some brown sugar and then place in the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until testing with a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool and if you want to, you can dust the top with some icing sugar, but not necessary!
This cake went down a treat and thoroughly recommend it!